How Talking Helps Writing
If you ask children What is talk useful for? you’ll likely get some interesting answers, such as:
You get to ask questions
You can tell people how you feel
You hear ideas
You get friends
When children are regularly involved in writing activities that begin with a structured talking component, they begin to notice how talk helps them to write about a topic or develop a particular writing skill.
Gerry Used to Hate Writing
Read this nine year old’s story!
Q: Why do some children sit down to write but take forever to get started?
A: For any of these reasons…
- They don’t know exactly what’s expected
- They can’t come up with any ideas
- They are worried they won’t spell the words correctly
- They think what they write won’t be good enough
- They don’t think there’s any real point in writing whatever it is
If you like something on this website, please consider sharing.